You know that thing you’ve been thinking about doing? Why Not Now? This show has been created because I believe the world will be a better place if more people ask themselves, “Why Not Now?” Each episode you’ll hear from a professional Why Notter and learn how they answered the question and took action so you can too.
Julie Foudy is an Olympic gold medalist, soccer hall of famer, ESPN sports broadcaster and women’s sports pioneer. She’s also doing important work as an advocate for women’s rights and children’s rights. Julie Foudy and I discuss everything from sports to equal pay and the important role men play in reaching gender equality.
The first 200 listeners to rate and leave an honest review of the Why Not Now? podcast on iTunes get a free month subscription to Headspace and a signed copy of my NY Times Bestseller, Renegades Write the Rules. See below for details.
- Julie’s Why Not Now? moment that played a huge role in shaping the future for women in sports. (4:17)
- What happened when Julie and her team asked, “Why isn’t there a Women’s World Cup and why isn’t there women’s soccer in the Olympics?” (5:39)
- How Julie gained the courage to stand up to the Federation. (7:42)
- The role that Billie Jean King played to innovate women in sports not only for tennis but also soccer. (9:15)
- Julie’s advice to women who are wanting to speak out at work about equal pay and other gender equality issues but they’re afraid of losing their jobs or backlash in general. (13:40)
- How Julie Foudy embraces fear. (15:21)
- What Julie has learned from her advocacy of equal pay for women in sports and how that applies to women in business. (17:10)
- Using your sense of humor as a strategy. “Fail, laugh and repeat.” (18:00)
- What is it about women who are able to accelerate the process of breaking through in business, sports or life? (19:24)
- Ways we can bring data and numbers into the conversation about women equality and specific data that is useful in starting the conversation about women equality and equal pay. (22:44)
- Are quotas the answer for kick starting a faster pace toward gender equity? What’s happened when Norway, Germany and France implemented diversity quotas. (23:55)
- We discuss the topic of male mentors and their role in reaching equality. Specific examples of companies that are encouraging more men to mentor women. (25:25)
- How does Julie get comfortable with being uncomfortable? (30:51)
- How does Julie keep her mind healthy? (35:17)
- Julie talks about her recent Why Not Now? moment and the what sparked her to take action. (37:50)
- Julie’s all-time favorite book. (44:40)
- What keeps Julie up at night? (45:13)
- What would Julie tell her younger self? You might be surprised to hear her answer! (46:12)
Book & Website mentioned:
- The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
Why Not Now? Show Partners:
With Design Pickle, you get a dedicated designer for all of your design needs for a flat-rate monthly fee of $370. Why Not Now? listeners get 30% off their 1st month, go to DesignPickle.com/WhyNotNow.
Why Not Now? show is full of taboo topics. Visit poopourri.com and get 20% off Poo~Pourri with code WHYNOTNOW. This pure blend of essential oils stops bathroom odor before it begins.