You know that thing you’ve been thinking about doing? Why Not Now? This show has been created because I believe the world will be a better place if more people ask themselves, “Why Not Now?” Each episode you’ll hear from a professional Why Notter and learn how they answered the question and took action so you can too.
Troy Aikman is a 3x Super Bowl champ and NFL hall of fame athletic badass. In this episode we get to know all sides of Troy from being a father to two teenage daughters to some unexpected Why Not Now? ideas Troy has for the future.
The first 200 listeners to rate and leave an honest review of the Why Not Now? podcast on iTunes get a free month subscription to Headspace and a signed copy of my NY Times Bestseller, Renegades Write the Rules. See below for details.
- Troy talks through a profound Why Not Now moment. A critical decision that he credits for paving his way to the NFL and shaping his future as we now know it. (4:45)
- Troy shares his thoughts on whether or not to seek advice when making big decisions. (7:08)
- Barry Switzer and Troy have one of the most important conversations of his career. (8:05)
- Does Troy Aikman consider himself a risk-taker? (9:56)
- The tale of the Gatorade bottle and sweat band my cousin and I got from Troy in the mid 90’s during a spring training camp at UT Austin. Full circle story! (10:36)
- Troy shares his thoughts on the topic of social media as a parent of two teenage daughters. (13:00)
- We discuss social media highlight reels vs. real life. (15:37)
- What happened when Troy’s daughter told him she’s not going to be a professional athlete. Powerful learning moment for father and daughter. (16:03)
- How Troy decides when to let things happen and when to make them happen. (19:35)
- Troy talks about his practice in mindfulness and meditation. (20:45)
- The single best thing Troy has ever done for himself. (23:03)
- The difference between playing not to lose and playing to win. How it’s applicable to sports and business. (28:55)
- A time Bill Belichick did something nearly everyone criticized except Troy believes it specifically defines the greatness of Bill and why he’s one of the greatest coaches of all time. (30:09)
- Troy talks about retiring from playing football and how it impacted his identity when he retired from the NFL. (33:22)
- Troy’s stance on the topic of concussions in sports. (37:00)
- Troy talks about two current life Why Not Now’s he’s ready to tackle. You might be surprised. (40:04)
- What’s Troy reading right now? And his all-time favorite book. (46:35)
- What keeps Troy up at night? (47:20)
- What advice would Troy give to his younger self? (47:34)
- 10% Happier by Dan Harris
- The Murchisons by Jane Wolfe (Texas Family Dynasty & First Owners of Dallas Cowboys)
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
The first 200 listeners to rate and leave an honest review of the Why Not Now? podcast on iTunes get a free month subscription to Headspace and a signed copy of my NY Times Bestseller, Renegades Write the Rules. After reviewing, email your iTunes handle and mailing address to WhyNotNow@AmyJoMartin.com. Or, simply want a 10-day free trial of Headspace right now? Click here.
To get 25% off of all Withings products and free shipping, simply use this code when you’re checking out on Withings.com: WhyNotNow25