You know that thing you’ve been thinking about doing? Why Not Now? This show has been created because I believe the world will be a better place if more people ask themselves, “Why Not Now?” Each episode you’ll hear from a professional Why Notter and learn how they answered the question and took action so you can too.
Tom Jolly is responsible for overseeing The New York Times newspaper as the Associate Masthead Editor. He’s witnessed a great deal of change over the past two decades at The Times. We talk about everything from the evolution of journalism to alternative facts, real-time fact checking and how to disconnect to keep your mind healthy. Tom led the committee charged with reorganizing the NYT newsroom to separate print and digital production operations, served as Night Editor responsible for integrating the digital and print reports and held the Sports Editor helm for eight years.
- Tom shares the Why Not Now? moment that helped transform The New York Times.
- How some Why Not Now? moments are a slow build that brew under the surface before becoming an “ah-ha” moment.
- Tom explains how journalism has evolved over the past decade and past year since as a result of the election season.
- How does a gigantic organization like The New York Times remain agile and innovative in a time of real-time fact checking and news reporting?
- Tom speaks to our society’s blurred lines between entertainment and news.
- Is the sky blue? We discuss the emerging trending topic of alternative facts & fake news.
- How Tom keeps his mind healthy.
- How does a leader at The New York Times actually disconnect in order to reset their mind?
- Tom’s recent “Why Not Now?” moment.
- What Tom is reading right now and his all-time favorite book?
- What keeps Tom up at night?
- Pirates or Ninjas, who’s tougher in Tom’s opinion?
- What advice Tom would give to his younger self?
Reference Links and Books:
- Follow Tom on Twitter, LinkedIN & Facebook
- The Wright Brothers by David McCollough
- Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- So, Anyway by John Cleese (autobiography)
Listeners who rate and leave an honest review of the Why Not Now? podcast on iTunes get a free month subscription to Headspace and a signed copy of my NY Times Bestseller, Renegades Write the Rules. After reviewing, email your iTunes handle and mailing address to [email protected] Or, simply want a 10-day free trial of Headspace right now? Click here.