Tom Jolly is responsible for overseeing The New York Times newspaper as the Associate Masthead Editor. He’s witnessed a great deal of change over the past two decades at The Times. We talk about everything from the evolution of journalism to alternative facts, real-time fact checking and how to disconnect to keep your mind healthy. Tom led the committee charged with reorganizing the NYT newsroom to separate print and digital production operations, served as Night Editor responsible for integrating the digital and print reports and held the Sports Editor helm for eight years.
- Tom shares the Why Not Now? moment that helped transform The New York Times.
- How some Why Not Now? moments are a slow build that brew under the surface before becoming an “ah-ha” moment.
- Tom explains how journalism has evolved over the past decade and past year since as a result of the election season.
- How does a gigantic organization like The New York Times remain agile and innovative in a time of real-time fact checking and news reporting?
- Tom speaks to our society’s blurred lines between entertainment and news.
- Is the sky blue? We discuss the emerging trending topic of alternative facts & fake news.
- How Tom keeps his mind healthy.
- How does a leader at The New York Times actually disconnect in order to reset their mind?
- Tom’s recent “Why Not Now?” moment.
- What Tom is reading right now and his all-time favorite book?
- What keeps Tom up at night?
- Pirates or Ninjas, who’s tougher in Tom’s opinion?
- What advice Tom would give to his younger self?
Reference Links and Books:
Get Amy Jo’s newsletter: https://amyjomartin.activehosted.com/f/21
Join the Why Not Now? Private Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/whynotnowpodcast/
Follow Amy Jo…
Why Not Now? Insta: http://www.instagram.com/whynotnow
Buy Amy Jo’s Book: https://amyjomartin.shop/collections/frontpage/products/renegades